Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
industrialWork46
New Contributor

Can't uninstall FortiClient in Linux due to EMS and deregistration password

Hello

I'm facing a problem regarding uninstalling FortiClient to install a different version.

I'm on Linux (Kubuntu 19.10). When I try to uninstall FortiClient ( sudo apt-get purge forticlient or sudo apt-get remove forticlient ) I can't because "Unable to uninstall forticlient while connected to EMS". But when I try to disconnect from EMS ( sudo /opt/forticlient/epctrl -u ) it asks me for a "deregistration password". It's the same when I try to disconnect it from the GUI:

disconnect_1.jpg

However, I don't have this password. I found a link about a "password recovery tool", but it is for Windows, and I don't have any program like that in the /opt/forticlient folder

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.2.4/ems-administration-guide/543835/using-the-passw...

For what I remember, I installed my version of FortiClient from the company I formerly worked with (to access their VPN), so maybe it was a different version than the free one where I can have full control of the program.

Is there a way to get this password in Linux, or to force EMS deregisteration and/or uninstalling?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @AEK,

I hope you are doing well. May I request your super user ( :) ) expertise, please?

Thank you!

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @industrialWork46 

Since you are asking then I guess you don't have access to EMS or you can't contact EMS admin so he disconnects/deregister your FortiClient for you.

In that case I couldn't find an official method to fix your problem on Linux but you can still try the following:

1. Stop FortiClient
  2. Double-check with ps -ef and kill any running FortiClient related process
  3. Rename /opt/forticlient/.fct_ec_registered. If you can't find the file in the mentioned folder try find it with find / -name .fct_ec_registered
  4. Run again sudo apt-get remove forticlient
  5. In case it doesn't work then boot your system in single user mode and try the procedure again
  6. In case the procedures fails roll-back the above change

Hope it helps.

AEK
AEK
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks a ton Abdelkrim!!

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

It seems that your previous company has enforced via EMS "Require Password to Disconnect from EMS" and preventing "Allow User to Shutdown When Registered to EMS".

Can you try to remove this file "sudo rm /opt/forticlient/.fct_ec_registered" and than try to stop and uninstall FCT?

Disconnect Forticlient from EMS:

/opt/forticlient/epctrl -u

Uninstall FortiClient:
sudo apt-get remove forticlient

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors