Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
donalcox
New Contributor

DHCP on a Fortiswitch 124F from a Fortigate via Fortilink

Hi,

I am quite new to Fortinet - I am used to Cisco. I have a Fortigate 40F and a Fortiswitch 124F-PoE. I have them linked by Fortilink and I can see the switch in my Fortigate.

I want clients connected to Fortiswitch to get their DHCP from the Fortigate. I cannot see how to do this. I set up a vlan on the Fortigate (Fortiswitch Vlan) and told it the DHCP relay was on an interface on the Fortigate - I have created a hardware switch and made LAN2 a member - I have a DHCP server on that hardware switch.

When I plug a device in to a port on the Fortiswitch (port 1) which is in the Fortiswitch vlan I created it does not get an IP address. I am not sure whether I am doing this right.

Any advice on this is most appreciated. A simple task I would have thought that I can do in a few minutes on Cisco but this is not at all the same.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi

When you create a VLAN interface on FortiLink, go to this created VLAN interface and enable DHCP server. Don't enable DHCP relay. You can usually leave all parameter as is.

AEK
AEK
donalcox
New Contributor

Thank you,

I created a vlan interface on Fortilink and then port 1 on the switch has that vlan as an allowed vlan - I cannot change the native vlan though. I guess I am still missing something as still no IP handed out. I turned DHCP on that vlan interface I created on the Fortilink.

240501-FortA.jpg

AEK

If port1 it is an access port then you don't need to configure "allowed VLANs". Unset them and just set the right VLAN as "native VLAN" on port1.

AEK
AEK
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

You don't have to make it this complex. After the FortiLink is established you have to create the VLAN, set the VLAN ID, IP, subnet and the DHCP server.

VLAN-create.PNG

The last step is going in "FortiSwitch Ports" and set the same VLAN as native to the desired port when the end host is connected.native.PNG

Think it more like a router on a stick but all the configurations are easily done from FGT UI. This L3 interface can than be used in the Firewall policies.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors