Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tmarius
New Contributor

Help setting up internet access for VLANS in hardware switch

Hi

my device is Fortigate 60F running 7.2.8

I have defined a new hardware switch named internal0, added physical ports internal4 and internal5

I have added some Vlans on internal0, let's say VLAN17, VLAN18, VLAN19 (192.168.17.0/24, 192.168.18.0/24, 192.168.19.0/24).

Internal 5 is uplinked to the trunk port on my Aruba switch (setup as L2 switch) where are also defined same Vlans.

Everything is fine, devices connected to Aruba are getting IP addresses from the corresponding Vlan. (DHCP is setup on Fortigate for the Vlans)

Now I want to have internet access for the vlans and I am not able to do it.

I have setup an allow all rule from internal0 - WAN1 but still the devices are not able to access internet.

It may have to do with the fact that the internal0 switch need an IP address on order to do NAT

I have added an IP address (say 192.168.10.1) to the internal0 switch but still no able to access internet.

What am I doing wrong? please help

Note: the reason I have created a new hardware switch and not used the default internal hw switch is because it is already in use by the old infrastructure. We are in progress in moving our entire infrastructure on a new hardware setup and I need both old and new to run in parallel for a time, using same Fortigate.

The default internal hw switch is using ports internal1, internal2 internal3, it has an IP address 192.168.15.1, there are no vlans at all, and is working just fine providing internet access for the old clients.

Using same model I created a new hw switch internal0, added ports internal 4 and 5 and setup vlans but run into trouble providing internet access for the clients.

Please help, thank you.

1 Solution
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @tmarius 

The policy that will allow your hosts to reach internet should have as source interfaces VLAN17, VLAN18 and VLAN19, not internal0.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
2 REPLIES 2
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi @tmarius 

The policy that will allow your hosts to reach internet should have as source interfaces VLAN17, VLAN18 and VLAN19, not internal0.

AEK
AEK
tmarius
New Contributor

Hi,

it worked!

thank you!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors