Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
damianhlozano
Contributor

Weighted Load balance and failover considering packet loss

Hello team!!!

Recently a Fortinet engineer told me that performance SLA are not considered if there are not explicit rule including them, so I wonder how to create a Load balance, using both WANs in the SD-WAN, taking care about the bandwith of each wan.

For example, I have the following:

WAN1: 100 Mbps / 100 Mbps of bandwith

WAN2: 50 Mbps / 50 Mbps of bandwith

In this case I would like to have about the double amount of sessions in WAN1 than in WAN2, and also I would like that if some link has about 3% of packet loss or more, this link will not be used.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Damián

Damián Lozano
Damián Lozano
1 Solution
hbac

Hi @damianhlozano,

You don't need an explicit sdwan rule. As long as Performance SLA is configured, FortiGate will start probing the server. I tested in my lab.

Regards, 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello Damian! 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @damianhlozano,

You can load balance using volume (Weight) by following this article: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-load-balance-traffic-between-two-in...

If some link has about 3% of packet loss or more, this link will not be used. You can configure Performance SLA and set pack loss threshold to 3%. Please refer to https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.1/administration-guide/580649/link-health-monitor

Regards, 

damianhlozano

Hi @hbac and @Jean-Philippe_P 

Thanks for your responses!!!

This is what I understand of this links:

The first link explain how to load balance the traffic to a specific IP, skipping sdwan rules

The second link explain how to create a link health monitor

As I understand (IMHO), this is not related to my question.

When more articles I read about sdwan, more I think the Fortinet engineer was wrong, I think the performance SLA should work even if there is not explicit rules selecting them.

Also, the fortinet engineer told me that when there are many performance SLA in a explicit rule, just one of them are used (different from what the second link explain), I think he was wrong in many answers.

So, before my previous question, let me ask you another question:

Are performance SLA considered if there is no explicit sdwan rules?  (Just the implicit rule)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Damián

Damián Lozano
Damián Lozano
hbac

Hi @damianhlozano,

You don't need an explicit sdwan rule. As long as Performance SLA is configured, FortiGate will start probing the server. I tested in my lab.

Regards, 

damianhlozano

I think so, thanks!!

Damián Lozano
Damián Lozano
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors