Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

JohnKall
New Contributor

IPS/IDS prevention

Hi,

I need to write a report on how IPS/IDS can be used in order to prevent a network from malicious attacks.

Can you provide me with relevant info?

Thanks

John

6 REPLIES 6
aagrafi
Contributor II

The FortiOS handbook is a good reference, I guess, to start your task. In the first of the "Intrusion Protection" section it provides general info about how IDS works in the FortiGate. Are you looking for something different than this?

Andreas

JohnKall

Hi,

I need something with example.

I am downoloading FortiOS handbook, as you proposed, but it would be better for me if you have something to recommend for a book for FortiManager that will include examples too.

Regards

John

aagrafi

Hi John,

The basics for IDS are covered in the FortiOS handbook. The FortiManager handbook covers only the how to enable IDS topics. You don't do something different in the FortiManager, but you do it in a different way. I'll see if I can find any cookbook with more practical examples.

Regards

Andreas

JohnKall

Hi Andreas,

It would be much help if you find a guide for FortiManager with examples.

Let me know by the time you get something appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

John 

aagrafi

Hi John,

I'm afraid I couldn't find something in the cookbook. However all the information you need about IPS (including examples) is in the FortiOS handbook. In the FortiManager you do the same thing but you do it in a different way. I'm proposing to use some examples from the handbook and transform them into FMG examples.

Hope that helps

Regards

Andreas

JohnKall

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply.

I will follow your advice and read the FortiOS handbook. From what I have seen already it won't be much different to configure the firewall via FMG. It just need more familiarity with the GUI of FMG. 

Regards

John