Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
systemgeek
Contributor

DNS for SSL VPN

I have split tunnel and split dns set up.  When I vpn in I can see that my dns servers are set to what is defined in the split tunnel configuration.  However, when I try to do a dns lookup the response shows me the dns server from the split tunnel but then gives me "Request timed out".  

If I change the Firewall rule to do NATing of the SSL VPN connection DNS lookups work fine.

Does this mean I need a firewall rule allowing ssl.root to access the dns servers?

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi

They must be missing something. Keep pushing them with the fact you couldn't see those packets on the virtual FGT side. Not your problem.

Toshi

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
systemgeek

AWS support says I did put in the routes correctly.

Toshi_Esumi

They must be missing something. Keep pushing them with the fact you couldn't see those packets on the virtual FGT side. Not your problem.

Toshi

systemgeek

As you suggested I did open a second case in the account where the fortigate is with AWS linking it back to my other case where the transit gateway is.  I am going to force their hand.

systemgeek

AWS did come back and give me an answer.

What I have is an AWS Organization which is composed of many accounts in AWS connected together.  Sadly, if you open a ticket with AWS support they are only able to look at the account the ticket was opened in.  My original ticket was opened in the account where the Transit Gateways exist.  But the FortiGates are in a different account.  Support asked me to open a ticket in the account where the FortiGates exist too so they could see both sides of the Transit Gateway.

Initially I created a route on the Transit Gateway telling it that the route for my VPN Clients could be found on Transit Gateway attachment XYZ.  So that took the packets to the correct VPC but then it was lost.  Support then had me add a route for the VPN Clients in the VPC pointing to the ENI of the Fortigate.

After creating this everything worked.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors