Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FdiPerna
New Contributor

Firmware 7.2.8 issue - interface link automatically set down -

Good morning,
I have a Fortigate cluster (#100F), with firmware 7.2.7, when upgrading to version 7.2.8, the link of a physical interface, is automatically disabled and is shown as down.
Our LAN is 10.0.0.0.0/16 and the interface in question has the IP 192.168.201.102/30, which allows us to connect to another network through an ASA.
I did the downgrade, restoring the previous configuration and everything works fine again, so obviously this is due to some new feature...
Please, could you give me some idea of "where to start to untie the knot" (or in another words, to understand what it is due to)??
Thank you very much!

7 REPLIES 7
amrit
Staff
Staff

There is a known bug in FortiOS 7.2.8--> 925554--> On the Network > Interfaces page, hardware and software switches show VLAN interfaces as down instead of up. The actual status of the VLAN interface can be verified using the commandline :  https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.8/fortios-release-notes/236526/known-issues

Check if you are hitting this issue, it will be fixed in the next release. 
Note: this is only a cosmetic issue you can check the actual status of an interface from the commandline 
config system interface 
edit <interfacename>
show full | grep status 
end 
end
diag hardware device info nic <interface name>

Amritpal Singh
FdiPerna
New Contributor

Good morning, thank you for your answer..., I will check if this is the case....

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

@FdiPerna: can you confirm that the interface in question is indeed part of a hw/sw switch?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
FdiPerna

Good morning, thank you for your answer..., no, the interface is defined as a physical interface, not as part of a hardware switch....

smaruvala

Hi,

- Was there any logs collected during the issue which @amrit mentioned?

- I tried to upgrade a 101F firewall to 7.2.8 in the lab and I did not face any issue in which the physical interface was down.

Regards,

Shiva

FdiPerna

Hi,
No..., unfortunately I did not take any log, since it was not an error, but the interface link remained down (even when restarting the ASA, changing the patch cord and also restarting the cluster).
When I connected the ASA to another switch, there was no problem, the link was fine, but when I connected it again to the 100F, again, link down, without even turning on the indicator LED.
Obviously, I had to downgrade (7.2.7) and restore the previous configuration since it is a production environment.

smaruvala

Hi,

I would suggest you to reach out to Fortinet Technical Support team by opening a case as your issue is not matching 925554.

Regards,

Shiva

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors