Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
unknown1020
New Contributor III

VPN SSL in FortiGate

good morning friends, a question:
I am reviewing the topic of SSL VPN, and according to the documentation there are two types: vpn ssl portal and tunnel.

Could you help me understand what would be the difference between vpn ssl portal and tunnel? since in the documentation it indicates almost the same thing and it is not clear to me.

I would understand that the portal is accessed through the web and through the tunnel as well?

2 REPLIES 2
sjoshi
Staff
Staff

Dear unknown1020,

Thank you for posting to the Fortinet Community Forum.

Problem Description:-

VPN SSL in FortiGate

Please follow the article below to get more details on tunnel mode and web mode ssl vpn

Let us know if this helps.

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

Thanks

Salon Raj Joshi
kkhushdeep
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Following are some differences between the web and tunnel mode SSL VPN.

- Web SSL VPN are easy and quick to setup and configure compare to Tunnel VPN.
- Web SSL VPN offer limited security as it focus on securing web traffic however Tunnel vpn provides higher level security as it encrypts all the traffic regardless of the type of traffic.
- In Web SSL VPN are suitable for scenarios where we need access to web based tools and resources securely whereas Tunnel VPN are more versatile and can provide access to broader range of network resources such as files shares, internal applications and databases.

Thanks

Khushdeep

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors