Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Umesh
Contributor

Email based two factor authentication || authentication method Radisu Server ||

Hi All,

Today I have configured successfully email based authentication for Forticlient VPN and when I configure using Local user that time I am getting authentication code.

I want, the user type must be Radius user not Local user.

User must be authenticate using Radius server.local.JPG

Can anyone guide how can I achieve this things.

Please refer the snapshot.

local user.JPG

2 Solutions
npariyar
Staff
Staff

Hi Umesh,

To enable 2FA for the radius users or any remote authentication server, the user must be preset on the fortigate as a User Type radius/tacacs+ /ldap. Once the user is preset on the FortiGate you can enable 2 FA as the below configuration:

config user local
edit "admin"
set type radius
set two-factor email
set email-to "admin@gmail.com"
set radius-server "RAD-TEST"
next
end

Here "RAD-TEST" is a radius server

Regards

Niroj Pariyar

View solution in original post

pminarik
Staff
Staff

I see various contradictory, or semi-contradictory, statements in here, so let's clear things once and for all.

1, email 2FA

FortiGate supports email 2FA for locally defined users (=explicitly listed in config user local). Their type is irrelevant - can be local/LDAP/RADIUS/...

The only catch is that email-type 2FA must first be configured via CLI. Once you do this, the option will become visible in the GUI, for that user.
Of course, do not forget to configure an email server and make sure that the FortiGate is able to send emails. Follow this KB article for the initial email 2FA setup - https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Email-Two-Factor-Authentication-on-FortiGa...

2, RADIUS-type users

If the user is of RADIUS type, then indeed their password will be checked for validity against the RADIUS server, not compared with anything local on the FortiGate itself. As a matter of fact you cannot even configure a local password for a RADIUS user. (but compare this with individual admin users, who do have a configurable "backup password", which is used exclusively only when the RADIUS server isn't responding)

A RADIUS user will show as "User Type Remote RADIUS User" in the GUI, or set type radius in the CLI.

Note that you cannot switch an existing user from one type to another. If you already have a local-type "user-x", in order to change them to RADIUS type you will need to first delete the existing user and then recreate it as a remote RADIUS user.

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
pgautam
Staff
Staff

Hi Umesh,

Greetings of the day!

To enable MFA for the radius user first add the user locally and then enabled email as two-factor authentication. For reference check the below screen-shot

radius.PNG

usercalled.png

MFA.PNG

Regards

Priyanka

Umesh
Contributor

Hi Priyanka,

Thanks for sharing this snapshot, but the problem is how can we configure 2F email based authentication under authentication type.

Regards,

umesh

ebilcari

The email field there is used to send the token activation procedure and not to do the 2FA via email for that user.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
npariyar
Staff
Staff

Hi Umesh,

To enable 2FA for the radius users or any remote authentication server, the user must be preset on the fortigate as a User Type radius/tacacs+ /ldap. Once the user is preset on the FortiGate you can enable 2 FA as the below configuration:

config user local
edit "admin"
set type radius
set two-factor email
set email-to "admin@gmail.com"
set radius-server "RAD-TEST"
next
end

Here "RAD-TEST" is a radius server

Regards

Niroj Pariyar
Umesh

Hi Niroj,

I have one query like when user will try to access network then will it authenticate using local password or radius server.

Thanks

Umesh

Hi Niroj,

I am sending snapshot, hope you will understand how I want to configure two factor email based authentication using radius server.

1.JPG2.JPG

ebilcari

You will need another product for that like FortiAuthenticator for example. There is a difference between token Delivery method and Activation method.
In FortiGate the SMS and email are used for activation. I'm sharing a snapshot from the configuration in FortiAuthenticator:

tokens.PNG

from FGT:

fgt-act.PNG

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
pminarik

FortiGate doesn't support 2FA with token delivery via email. 

This statement is incorrect, please refer for example to https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Email-Two-Factor-Authentication-on-FortiGa...

[ corrections always welcome ]
ebilcari

You are right, that was new to me too :). I test it in a lab and it's working normally in 7.2.4 after adding it from the CLI from a LDAP user in this case:

config user local
edit "beni"
set type ldap
set two-factor email
set email-to "beni@eb.eu"
set ldap-server "DC01-x"

the test:

GW # diagnose test authserver ldap DC01-x beni xxxxx
Token Code:******
authenticate 'beni' against 'DC01-x' succeeded!

the email content send by FGT: Your authentication token code is 8xxxxx. 
Same result while using a local user:

config user local
edit "test2FAmail"
set type password
set two-factor email
set email-to "test2fmail@eb.eu"
set passwd-time 2023-07-23 08:55:03
set passwd ENC xxxx

the test:

GW # diagnose test authserver local Local test2FAmail test123
Token Code:******
authenticate user 'test2FAmail' in group 'Local' succeeded   
- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors