Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Redundant dial-up VPN FG to FG

Hi FortiGate admins

In my case I need a redundant dial-up VPN from branch office FG to HQ FG, where HQ FG has 2 WAN in a SD-WAN zone.

dual-dial-up-vpn.png

A "classic" setup didn't work, I see the tunnels flapping from the first to the second and vice versa.

When configuring one tunnel (A or B) it works well, but enabling the two seems problematic.

Didn't troubleshoot deeper so far, so I don't know the root cause yet.

Any advice would be appreciated?

AEK
AEK
2 Solutions
ezhupa

Most likely you are having the same issue described in the below KB if I understood the setup correctly:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Dialup-IPSEC-issues-after-upgrading-7-2-6-...

View solution in original post

Toshi_Esumi

also you probably need to disable static route injection (set add-route disable) then set up two static routes with different metric. We regularly use BGP for this kind of set up since it's more automatic.

Toshi

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

What is your classic setup? Did you create two phase1-interfaces on the HQ side and set different server IDs then used them as peer IDs on the remote office side?

Toshi

AEK

I tried that as well.

It seems when tunnel 1 is up, tunnel 2 is deleted, and vice versa after few seconds.

ike 0:tun1_0:69142:tun12:470108: added dynamic IPsec SA proxyids, new serial 1
ike 0:tun2_0:470105: moving route 10.10.0.0/255.255.0.0 oif tun2_0(5090) metric 1 priority 1 to 0:tun1_0:470108
ike 0:tun2_0:470105: del route 10.10.0.0/255.255.0.0 tunnel 1.2.3.4 oif tun2_0(5090) metric 1 priority 1
ike 0:tun2_0: deleting
ike 0:tun2_0: flushing
ike 0:tun2_0: deleting IPsec SA with SPI 1f517e2a
ike 0:tun2_0:tun22: deleted IPsec SA with SPI 1f517e2a, SA count: 0

AEK
AEK
ezhupa

Hello AEK,

Can you try allowing phase2 overlap on the phase2 config?
config vpn ipsec phase2-interface
    edit <name of phase2>
        set route-overlap allow
end

ezhupa

Most likely you are having the same issue described in the below KB if I understood the setup correctly:
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Dialup-IPSEC-issues-after-upgrading-7-2-6-...

Toshi_Esumi

also you probably need to disable static route injection (set add-route disable) then set up two static routes with different metric. We regularly use BGP for this kind of set up since it's more automatic.

Toshi

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Thanks to both, Toshi & Zhupa

Did what you said and it worked perfectly.

AEK
AEK
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors