Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MG4
New Contributor

Solution for Article 239709 not working (IPsec VPN peer id from dialup group)

On CLI, when a user tries to assigne the option ‘peer id from dialup group’ in the dial-up IPsec tunnel:

# config vpn ipsec phase1-interface

(phase1-interface) # edit <phase1 name>

(phase1 name) # set peertype dialup

(phase1 name) #set usrgrp <usergroup name>

Error: auth_user not a local user

node_check_object fail! for usrgrp <usergroup name>

value parse error before 'test'

Command fail. Return code -1

On GUI, an error '-1: Invalid length of value’ will be visible when a user tries to assign a user group to the option ‘'peer id from dialup group’'.

Solution: A user group can only be assigned/used in option ‘peer id from dialup group’ if every user in that group is locally created or the user group will have a Group type of ‘Firewall’.

My Problem is that the user group RADIUS I use is from the group type Firewall, and it doesn't work. The user group RADIUS has a remote group being a RADIUS-Server.

Is there no way to authenticate with the FortiGate, Client-to-Site IPsec VPNs with LDAP or RADIUS?

1 Solution
pminarik
Staff
Staff

LDAP or RADIUS can be used if you utilize them for XAUTH (IKEv1) or EAP (IKEv2) authentication in IPsec.

peertype=dialup + usrgrp=<local-group> are used to effectively create a dynamic list of valid peer-id + PSK combinations. Since the PSK (taken from the local user's password) isn't sent directly, but is used to generate a hash for authentication, the FortiGate needs to have knowledge of what the PSK should be, and in practice LDAP/RADIUS cannot be used to request such information from the authentication server.

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @MG4 ,

According to that solution article, you can't use a remote group on your dial-up vpn configuration. You need to configure with a local user group. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
pminarik
Staff
Staff

LDAP or RADIUS can be used if you utilize them for XAUTH (IKEv1) or EAP (IKEv2) authentication in IPsec.

peertype=dialup + usrgrp=<local-group> are used to effectively create a dynamic list of valid peer-id + PSK combinations. Since the PSK (taken from the local user's password) isn't sent directly, but is used to generate a hash for authentication, the FortiGate needs to have knowledge of what the PSK should be, and in practice LDAP/RADIUS cannot be used to request such information from the authentication server.

[ corrections always welcome ]
MG4
New Contributor

Thank you for the Answer. I looked up the EAP authentication and found the article, 191040 that talks about a way to utilize RADIUS. I'm going to try it out and see if it works.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors