Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
clfrancisco
New Contributor II

VPN Setup using dynamic IP from ISP

Hi Team,

Can I still setup a VPN (IP-SEC) on my Fortigate 60D but I dont have public static IP on my ISP, is it possible to setup?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @clfrancisco ,

You can use ddns feature to solve this problem.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.3/administration-guide/685361/ddns

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Francisco

Additionally to Atlas' suggestion, you can also set it up as dial-up VPN client. You can use the Wizard to set it up easier.

AEK
AEK
sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

Unfortunately there still is a bug in the FortiOS IPSec stack with using ddns as remote gw on a vpn. 

This does not affect dial up tunnels.

It does affect Site2Site tunnels. S2S will work if both sides are always online so you can allow phase1 auto negotiation to establish the vpn from both sides. Once you disable phase1 auto negotiation on the side that has the ddns as remote gw (because opposite site doesn't have a static wan ip) it will stop working once the remote ip changes because without phase1 autonegotiation the ipsec stack does not update the remote gw on this side.

Also unfortunately with dial up tunnels and redundancy you run into yet annother bug in the routing stack and sdwan that prevents your FGT from detecting the proper tunnel/route.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors